The archaeological collection in the Museum zu Allerheiligen traces back to collections from the Historical Antiquarian Society of Schaffhausen and the Nature Research Society of Schaffhausen. It mainly contains findings from the canton of Schaffhausen and the neighbouring regions and entered the museum mostly as donations and acquisitions before the introduction of the Swiss Civil Code (ZGB 1907).
With the introduction of the Swiss Civil Code, property conditions for archaeological finds were revised: finds generally became the property of the canton. They are part of the cantonal archaeological study collection which is constantly supplemented with new finds.
The archaeological collections were housed in the Museum zu Allerheiligen until 1996. Since then they are affiliated to the archaeology department of Canton Schaffhausen which is also in charge of them. The archaeology department runs a data bank. The objects undergo scientific processing, are published if possible and are available for the collection show at the Museum zu Allerheiligen and for temporary exhibitions and loans. The materials are accessible to scientists, students and local researchers.
The study collection contains finds from the Old Stone Age (15000 BC) until today (modern and industrial archaeological objects). It encompasses approximately almost 5 million separate items. About 53,000 selected objects are registered in the data bank, the most of which have already been evaluated and published. Ranking among the biggest complexes of finds are: Thayngen-Kesslerloch, Schaffhausen-Schweizersbild, Thayngen-Weier, Gächlingen-Goldäcker, Hemishofen-Sankert, Schleitheim-Vicus Iuliomagus, Stein am Rhein-Burg und Hofwiesen, Schleitheim-Hebsack, Schaffhausen-Berslingen, Bargen-Hofwiesen, Schaffhausen-All Saints Monastery and Old town, Stein am Rhein-Asyl and Hohenklingen.
Markus Höneisen, Cantonal Archaeologist
Archaeology Department of Canton Schaffhausen
Tel.: 052/632 74 83