Restoration and renovation
Since the founding and partial opening of the museum in 1928, and the subsequent developments, which were completed in 1938, the presentation and infrastructure of certain areas of the collection have remained almost unchanged. Especially the historical and archaeological permanent exhibitions – in some areas 70 years old – were no longer up-to-date and were no longer able to attract present-day visitors.
Thanks to a credit granted by parliament and voters from the town of Schaffhausen and the generous engagement of the Sturzenegger Foundation Schaffhausen, the out-of-date presentation areas have been radically reorganised between 2006 and 2012. With the use of new media and interactive presentation techniques, especially children and young people, families and school classes can now get enthusiastic about our history and culture. Furthermore, additional special showrooms are in development which will enable attractive alternating exhibitions with public appeal. At the same time, the building has been radically renovated. Heating, electrical distribution and air conditioning has been installed in chosen rooms.